After nearly seven years of marriage, Kelly Clarkson filed for divorce from Brandon Blackstock this past June. The couple wed in 2013, and they have two children together, 6-year-old daughter River Rose and 4-year-old son Remington Alexander. Since their split, details have slowly started unfolding, with Kelly recently opening up about their separation on Tuesday’s episode of The Kelly Clarkson Show. “I’m obviously going through one right now. It’s horrible. There are so many hard parts. The hardest for me is the kids. That’s the hardest for me,” Kelly candidly revealed on her show. It was also announced this week that Kelly was awarded primary physical custody of their kids. As new details continue to emerge, keep reading to see everything we know so far about Kelly and Brandon’s divorce.
Related: Kelly Clarkson’s Cover of Justin Bieber’s “Sorry” Begs the Question: What Can’t She Sing?
- Kelly files for divorce. On June 4, the 38-year-old singer filed for divorce from the 43-year-old music manager after almost seven years of marriage. In court documents obtained by People, Kelly cited “irreconcilable differences” as the reason for their split and listed their separation date as “TBD.”
- Kelly says she didn’t see the split coming. During the season two premiere of The Kelly Clarkson Show in September, Kelly opened up about her divorce. “I’m so glad I can still connect with all of you in my studio because, as you probably know, 2020 has brought a lot of change also to my personal life. Definitely didn’t see anything coming that came,” she said. “What I’m dealing with is hard because it involves more than just my heart, it involves a lot of little hearts. We have four kids. Divorce is never easy. We’re both from divorced families, so we know the best thing here is to protect our children and their little hearts.” She assured her audience that she was OK, but she preferred to keep details private for the sake of their kids.
- Kelly is awarded primary physical custody of River Rose and Remington Alexander. “The Court finds that under the circumstances present in this case, the interest in providing stability and continuity for the minor children weighs in favor of Petitioner having primary custody,” court documents stated, referring to Kelly. With the doc adding that “the level of conflict between the parents has increased,” because “the parties have a difficult time co-parenting due to issues of trust between them.”
- Brandon seeks spousal and child support. According to People, the music manager is seeking $436,000 in monthly spousal and child support. “Brandon’s been equally unreasonable in his requests for child and spousal support, as well as attorney fees. Kelly’s offered to pay for all the kids’ expenses, but Brandon seems to think he is entitled to and needs $301,000 in spousal support and $135,000 in child support per month,” a source told the publication. “Additionally, he’s already asked for $2 million for attorney fees when he’s the one driving up the cost of the divorce with seven attorneys just representing him alone.”
- Kelly gets candid about her divorce once again. During a December episode of The Kelly Clarkson Show, the host discussed her divorce with author Glennon Doyle and Alicia Keys. “I’m obviously going through one right now,” she said, referencing the split. “It’s horrible. There are so many hard parts. The hardest for me is the kids. That’s the hardest for me.”
Black-ish star Marsai Martin just made history. The 16-year-old actress is now the youngest executive producer of a major Hollywood movie in history. You read that right. She’s 16, and she’s out here making movies (and starring in them). Whew. She technically earned the title at 14 for her film Little, starring Insecure‘s Issa Rae and Girls Trip‘s Regina Hall, which hit theaters in 2019.
The movie centers around a woman named Jordan Sanders (Hall), whose callous behavior causes her to become cursed by a little girl. Jordan then turns back into her 13-year-old self (Martin), who must relive her childhood. In an interview with The Root, Martin confirmed that the movie is inspired by Tom Hank’s 1988 classic Big. “It was one of my most favorite films growing up,” she said. “After the [season one] finale of Black-ish, we told Kenya Barris about it, and he called Will [Packer] and said: ‘Yo, you know the girl who plays Diane on Black-ish? She has this dope idea!'”
Martin couldn’t contain her excitement during a video of her certificate presentation. “To be able to create a film, to star in it, being with your favorite stars, and actually seeing that entire experience was so amazing,” she said. “It feels crazy, honestly. A world record? That’s insane. Like the world, and then I hold the record. I could never have imagined to actually be a part of something like this.” And we couldn’t imagine a more deserving person for the record and can’t wait to see what the world has in store for her.
In 2017, Billie Eilish began the tradition of doing an annual time capsule video with Vanity Fair, and now she’s back with her fourth one. In the video, which dropped on Nov. 30, the 28-year-old singer answers the same questions from the previous interviews, only this time she’s reflecting on how the pandemic has allowed her to become more politically engaged and informed and what she’s most looking forward to in the future.
“I have learned so much more about the way people are living that I wasn’t aware of before,” Billie said. “The climate crisis and social injustice and all the bad things made me think differently. I will never stop fighting for all the Black and brown people who have lost their lives to police brutality.”
The Grammy winner also looked back at her career achievements, which include becoming the second person in history to sweep the major categories at the Grammys. “Getting bigger and bigger makes me more comfortable about not having to prove myself,” she explained. “People look up to you, so that you will tell them what you, yourself, would actually tell them.” See what else Billie had to say in the video above.
NBC streaming service Peacock has issued an apology after viewers lambasted the Saved by the Bell reboot for joking about Selena Gomez‘s kidney transplant. On Nov. 28, the platform and the show’s executive producers released a statement to Variety, saying, “We apologize. It was never our intention to make light of Selena’s health. We have been in touch with her team and will be making a donation to her charity, The Selena Gomez Fund for Lupus Research at USC.”
The apology came hours after “Respect Selena Gomez” began trending on Twitter as fans slammed the series for making Gomez’s surgery a punchline during the sixth episode. In one scene, a pair of Bayside students argue about the identity of Gomez’s donor, unable to verify their claims because their phones have been taken away. “I know for a fact that Selena Gomez’s kidney donor was Justin Bieber’s mom. God, I wish that I had my phone so that I could prove it,” one student says. The other classmate responds, “Prove what? That you’re an idiot? It was Demi Lovato‘s kidney. They’re best friends like you and I were.” A different scene also shows graffiti on a wall that appears to read, “Does Selena Gomez even have a kidney?”
Gomez revealed that she had a kidney transplant due to her lupus diagnosis in 2017, also confirming that Grown-ish actress Francia Raisa was her donor. Both Gomez and Raisa have opened up about the physical and mental health complications they experienced following the operation. While Gomez has yet to respond to the Saved by the Bell backlash, Raisa tweeted on Nov. 28, “Appreciate the apology but let’s not forget about the donors that potentially felt offended and dismissed from the spray paint written on the wall.”
The American Music Awards was filled with so many incredible performances on Sunday, but there was one artist that was visibly missing. Though Bad Bunny was set to perform “DÃ¡kiti” during the show, he never hit the stage despite making an at-home appearance to present Becky G with the award for favorite Latin female artist.
Amid speculation about his lack of appearance, it was confirmed via a press release on Monday that the rapper had tested positive for coronavirus. “Bad Bunny was originally set to perform his #1 global hit “DÃ¡kiti” with Jhay Cortez live for the first time at the AMAs,” a press release by Acoustyle Communication, which represents the star, stated, “but unfortunately, the artist tested positive for COVID-19, which forced him to cancel the presentation.”
Despite not performing on the show, Bad Bunny won big. In addition to taking home favorite Latin male artist, he also took home favorite Latin album for YHLQMDLG.